Oakley College is proud of the many fundraising events the students take part in to support worthwhile causes in our local community, nationally and internationally.
Raising money for charities can be a springboard to help young people become active global citizens. It can help students learn more about the global issues that affect us all, develop essential skills to help them to change the world around them and understand more about the work of charities such as those that the school supports
In secondary the fund raising activities are often linked to the student’s community service. linking the individuals practical work with causes the school supports.
We believe that it is vital for our school community to be involved in issues that affect the world we live in, even if they do not affect us directly. The regular charities we support include
Pequeño Valiente – children’s cancer
- Supporting cancer victims in the local community.
Banco de Alimentos
- Food collection at Christmas for the needy
- Toys at Christmas for the needy
Asocepa – Gluten free association, Las Palmas
Afesur – Mental health charity
- Hello Yellow mental health day
Ayuda en Acción
- Sponsoring a child in Peru
Action Against Hunger
- Annual charity running race where all the school take part in a morning of exercise and fun.
- UN programme promoting the health, safety, education and leadership of girls in developing countries.
In Previous years we have also supported:
Save the Children
- A school building project in Malawi, Africa.
Mary’s Meals- Malawi
- Built a school kitchen for a school in Malawi
The Halloween party at the end of October each year is our principal charity event within school. Students, parents and family members come together to celebrate the occasion with fancy dress parades, food stalls, drinks, and lots of games and events for the children. A central part of the event is the raffle where parents generously provide prizes personally or through their business or company. All money raised from the event goes towards our local children’s cancer charity, Pequeño Valiente.