- We want our students to be happy in school. We use a child centred approach, making our students feel safe, supported and challenged as learners and young adults
- Our school is a family school with small classes and a positive atmosphere
- Our values of Respect, Responsibility and Resolving Problems are taught from early on and ensure well rounded individuals
- We celebrate our students and their successes in and out of the classroom via our assemblies, celebrations and regular contact with parents
- At Oakley College we teach English to a native level
- British qualified staff ensure fluency in speaking and writing in English. Students understand idiosyncrasies, quirks and mannerisms as well as British and Anglo-Saxon society as a whole- cultural customs, business jargon, relevant cultural events and more.
- 80% curriculum is taught in English
- Students are nurtured to be successful as global citizens
FOCUS ON INDIVIDUAL CHILD DEVELOPMENT AND WELLBEING
- Every child matters which is why we have a strong Pastoral team to guide and support every child
- The Pastoral team work closely with teachers and Mental health services within and outside of school to ensure individual needs are met
- The Personal social and emotional curriculum is a whole school curriculum that builds life skills such as financial literacy, emotional intelligence and healthy relationships creating children that are ready for the outside world after completing their education.
- The British educational system is based on Project learning and developing the learner with thinking skills and the skills to be successful in life
- We use a holistic approach to the child and to the learning, providing innovative and individualised learning tailored to the learning styles of the students
- There is support and catch up groups integrated within the teaching day
- Learning Support Assistants support the learning
- Specialised programs for neurodivergent learners and More Able students
- Option of up to 4 languages taught: English, Spanish, French and German
Oakley College is an International British School for children aged 2 to 18 located in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain.
We cater for 2 – 18 year old students both Spanish and international, following the British curriculum for England and Wales and preparing our students for further education both in Spain and abroad. About 80% of the school day is taught through English. The school values both the academic and social development of each pupil through individual attention and multilingualism. Oakley College is based all on one single campus in the idyllic and easily accessible area of Tafira Alta, 15 minutes away from Las Palmas.
By being an International British school, our students benefit from the best of both worlds: the sound foundation from the Spanish Curriculum and the innovation and hands-on character of the British Curriculum. As a result, students graduate from the school with dual official qualifications: at the end of Secondary, the British IGCSEs and the Spanish ‘Graduate in Compulsory Secondary Education’ certificate; and the Spanish ‘Baccalaureate’ certificate and English A-Level certificates, at the end of their Sixth Form studies. The intercultural mind-set and the thinking skills, allow them to apply successfully to the best universities around the world.
The school was founded in 1989 by the current Principal, Donat Morgan MBE. It is NABSS inspected and for 10 consecutive years the recipient of the prestigious El Mundo award for the Top International Schools in Spain.