Strategies to help students include:
• Using class notes or textbook to look for explanations.
• Check subject blogs on the school website.
• Use revision websites and subject websites for curriculum (there are lots of them).
• Watch explanations on Youtube (and try more than just one, to find which is best).
• Writing a note at the end of homework to communicate to teachers what anything on which students got stuck, and what strategies they tried to use to fix their understanding. This allows teachers to help students with their skills and strategy development.
• Students can explain their understanding of an idea to someone older, using English, to see what they think of the explanation and the clarity of the words used.
• Students can explain their understanding of an idea to someone younger, or in their class, who doesn’t already know the ideas, to see if they can understand the concepts from the explanation.
• Students can sketch diagrams or a mind-map to structure their ideas and thinking.